Sunday, February 24, 2013

Change of plan

Ok, more issues with the chromebox.  First off, something happened while in a chroot, and Chrome OS decided to log itself out. To top it off, I'm having trouble hot-booting my Adata SSD via the USB recovery hack.  Screw it, I'm putting Ubuntu on my more stable gaming system.  i7 2600k Sandy Bridge, 8 GB RAM, 2x 64 GB Mtron 7800 SSD in RAID 0 config, with a GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB RAM, on a Asrock H67M-ITX HT Mini-ITX Mobo.

I've decided to do something else new here.  Installed Windows 8 Pro on the system, VMWare 9.0 Workstation, and installed Ubuntu 12.04 x64 in a VM.  From what I have read, it may even be possible to move the VM to bare metal if I wish in the future, but more than likely hosted on an ESXi server.  Maybe that i7 Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix system.  

In the meantime, I have a much more stable system, if a little bit loud (no more so than the highway nearby).  I also get to take advantage of USB 3.0 for the Cineraid data storage I have.  Reinstalled crashplan, and am importing the backup now, F-T-W

No comments:

Post a Comment