Sunday, February 24, 2013

The end

Since this blog starts as a way for me to vent some of my frustrations in screwing up my web/media server, I should probably explain how I got into this mess..  Hopefully, it will also help others to avoid the mistakes I made.

Initially I build a dual-boot system, running Chrubuntu, based on 12.04 Precise Pangolin. This worked well for just running Ubuntu (even if it's based on a chrome kernel).  Unfortunately, swapping between chrome and ubuntu requires modifying the SSD partition table priorities, which is how I foobar'd the system in the end. I ended up not being able to boot the system. 


Booting from a USB chrome couldn't see the SSD, I ended up taking out the mSATA SSD, putting it in a mSATA to SATA adapter, putting it in another system, mounting it as virtual drive inside of a VirtualBox instance of chrome, then running cgpt to modify the partition table. Unfortunately, cgpt wanted to "fix" the partition table.  I should never have listened.  Fixing the partition basically blew away the ubuntu partition and merged it with another chrome partition.  My day was over.  The next couple days have been spent trying to recover important configuration files using photorec, find, and grep.  Ugh!  Notes to self, backup important files, document the process to rebuild the server (this blog), and consider a new line of work.

1 comment: