Sunday, February 24, 2013

External USB Raid and Crashplan

So, first to setup is to attach the external RAID with all my music, movies, and media to the server.  I plugged it in, and the USB device is auto-mounted inside chrome.   Not quite what I want, needs to be mounted inside of ubuntu.

 open a crosh tab with Ctrl-Alt-T, type shell to drop to an admin shell, find the drive and unmount it.
mount  
in my case the drive is at /dev/sdb1 on /media/removable/Cineraid type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered) 

so just unmount
sudo umount /dev/sdb1 
Eventually this will be added to a startup script starting crouton and entering the chroot.  This should be enough to allow you to mount the drive inside of ubuntu. Just open a shell, create a mount point, and mount the drive. 
sudo mkdir /media/Cineraid
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/Cineraid
 
Again, some automation will help here.  

Now in my case, I keep the entire external RAID backed up with an cloud backup service.  Crashplan has unlimited storage capacity and works with Linux, so this is what I use.  Instead of re-backing up the entire RAID, I can just import the previous backup from my previous server.  The only caveat is that the path must be the same on the new computer as the old computer.  In my case, this is /media/Quadra. I also will need to add this drive to the /etc/fstab to make automount a little easier.

Get the UUID of the drive.
sudo blkid
Add this UUID to automount to the same location, to /etc/fstab.  Should look something like
UUID=3456-3452345-345-345345   /media/Quadra   ext3   defaults   0   0
At this point, you should just be able to mount the drive manually
mount -a

No comments:

Post a Comment